Thursday, November 20, 2008

9 days more

Arghh...
I am down with a running nose=(
Can you imagine how annoying it is to pipette out 60 tubes of cocktail for real-time PCR along with a nose that is draining out fluid non-stop?
Also, you must constantly refrain yourself from rubbing your nose with your gloved hands that might be contaminated with all sorts of bacteria or hazardous substances.
Not to mention that your eyes are also tearing badly as a result of the running nose.
It really challenged my ability to concentrate!
Seriously, out of all the illnesses, I hate running nose the most.
I know I look like Roudoff, thanks a lot KennSiang=.=

Anyway, Hugh Jackman crowned People's "Sexiest Man Alive" for 2008! yeah
"You can't go wrong" with Jackman, People.com On-Air Correspondent Michelle Beadle told Early Show co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez after revealing the selection. "He's Australian, first of all. He's adorable. He's got one of the best bodies ever. And he's a family man. We all love that. He doesn't -- he's not on the party scene. He loves his kids, he loves his wife. He likes to stay home and make pancakes. He's almost too perfect!"

Next up,
There was a breakthrough surgery: World’s first tailor-made windpipe transplant.
A paper published in the Lancet Medical journal online yesterday described the cutting-edge collaboration involving doctors in three countries — Spain, Britain and Italy. Scientists hailed the procedure as a breakthrough.
Scientists removed all the cells from the windpipe of a 51-year-old donor by scrubbing it clean with a high-tech detergent.
The next steps were to reconstitute the living tissue using Mrs Castillo’s own stem cells and graft them onto the windpipe. The new windpipe was transplanted into her in June.
Because the new windpipe was made from Mrs Castillo’s cells, she has not needed powerful drugs to prevent her body rejecting the organ. - TODAYonline
Mrs Castillo is now leading a normal life again!
Her damaged trachea on the left was replaced with a tailor-made trachea build using donor's cartilage grafted with her own stem cells.
So cool, isn't it?
You now do not have to wait in the transplant list to get a trachea.
However, as far as I know, they are still working towards building an organ entirely, without the need of a donor.
And also, scientists are still unable to construct other organs using this method.
Perhaps this is still a one-off success. More effort should be put in.

Besides, my research mentor is also on the newspaper today!
Under Stem Cell Research - Hope for diabetics.
Singapore team able to produce insulin in mice; humans next.
So happy that I am contributing to this.
It's a meaningful research.

Lastly, I also subscribed TIME from a girl from TJC who is now interning at EmitAsia.
She said she is offerring me a price cheaper than what the school will charge me if the school is helping me to order them.
Well, I thought I will have to order them next year anyway and they will be delivered directly to where I live.
Why not do her a favour?
So I trusted her.
I know the commission is hard to earn :P

No comments: